1. Jesus and His disciples arrived in the country of the Gadarenes - Mark 5:1
a. A region on the east side of the Sea of Galilee
b. Also known as the Decapolis - Mark 5:20
2. After taming a wild sea, Jesus now tames a wild man
a. A man possessed with unclean spirit - Mark 5:2
b. Unable to be bound by chains, night and day crying and cutting himself - Mark 5:3-5
c. Moved to worship Jesus by the legion of demons that possessed him - Mark 5:6-9
d. The demons begged not to be tormented or sent out of the country - Mark 5:7,10
e. Asking to be able to fill a herd of swine, they are allowed, and then are drowned - Mark 5:11-13
f. The swine feeders fled to tell others who, when seeing the demoniac in his right mind, begged for Jesus to leave their region - Mark 5:14-17
g. As Jesus returns to his boat, the healed man pleads to join Him, but is sent home to tell others what the Lord has done - Mark 5:18-20
A. YES, AND JUSTIFIABLY SO...
1. They begged Jesus not to torment them - Mark 5:7
2. Note the similarity to the unclean spirit(s) in the synagogue - Mark 1:23-24
3. Jesus came to destroy the works of the devil - 1 John 3:8
4. The demons (unclean spirits) knew the time was coming - Matthew 8:29
5. Indeed, everlasting fire is prepared for the devil and his angels - Matthew 25:41
7. One day the devil himself will be cast into the lake of fire - Revelation 20:10
-- Yes, the demons who were legion were terrified of Jesus!
B. WE SHOULD BE AFRAID
1. If we are not ready for the coming of the Lord - 2 Thessalonians 1:7-9
2. We too will experience everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels - Matthew 25:41,46
-- Yes, we should be terrified of Jesus if we are not ready!
A. YES, BUT UNJUSTIFIABLY SO...
1. When they came to Jesus and saw the healed demoniac, they were afraid - Mark 5:14-15
2. They pleaded with Jesus to depart from their region - Mark 5:17
3. Their fear was the fear of the unknown, and they were unwilling to know
4. Their fear deprived them of great blessings
-- Yes, the people of the region were foolishly afraid of learning more about Jesus!
B. WE SHOULD NOT BE AFRAID...
1. Of learning about Jesus, for He offers rest for our souls - Matthew 11:28-30
2. Of coming to Jesus, for He is the source of every spiritual blessing - Ephesians 1:3
3. Of obeying Jesus, for His words will free us from the bondage of sin - John 8:31-32, 34-36
4. Of following Jesus, for His words will provide safety in life's storms - Matthew 7:24-27
-- No, we should not be afraid to learn whatever we can about Jesus!
A. NO, AND JUSTIFIABLY NOT...
1. He begged to be with Jesus, but Jesus had other plans for him - Mark 5:18-19
2. He was not afraid of Jesus, nor afraid to tell others about Jesus - Mark 5:20
3. Jesus had done great things for Him, and telling others led them to marvel - Mark 5:20
-- No, he who was healed by Jesus was not afraid of Jesus!
B. WE SHOULD NOT BE AFRAID...
1. Of Jesus, for He loved us and washed us from our sins!- Revelation 1:5
2. Of telling others about Jesus, who has given us great hope - 1 Peter 3:15
-- No, we who have been saved by Jesus should never be afraid of Jesus!
1. Who was afraid of Jesus...?
a. Those unwilling to repent of their sins
b. Those unwilling to learn about Jesus
2. Who was not afraid of Jesus...?
a. The one who appreciated what Jesus had done for him
b. The one who was willing to tell others what Jesus had done
3. Who are we more like in this story...?
a. The demons who were legion?
b. The people of the region?
c. The demoniac who was healed?
Do we want to be with Jesus?
Are we willing to tell others about Jesus?
Or are we afraid of Jesus?
-- Don Treadway, October 2008 --