1. The word "must" is thus defined: "To be compelled - essential, requisite."
2. It can signify both necessity and urgency.
3. This is a word that our generation does not like to hear.
4. Nevertheless, it is used in the Bible to emphasize many truths.
5. Let's look at some of them.
A. Christ's suffering was part of God's eternal plan (Ephesians 3:11).
1. The Old Testament spoke of Christ's suffering in many places.
2. He pointed this out in Luke 24:44-46.
3. His suffering was not a result of any defeat or failure on His part.
4. Isaiah 53.
B. This sacrifice is necessary for our salvation.
1. All have sinned (1 John 1:8; Romans 3:23).
2. It takes a blood sacrifice to purge sins (Hebrews 9:22).
3. However, the blood of bulls and goats was not sufficient to purge our sins (Hebrews 10:1-4).
4. It took the sacrifice of the Son of God (Hebrews 9:23-28).
A. The fact that Christ came to this earth and died for our sins gives Him the right to demand our obedience to Him (Acts 4:12; Philippians 2:9-11).
B. "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" (Acts 16:30).
1. This is the most important question ever asked.
2. He was told to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.
3. The Hebrews rews writer tells us that we MUST have faith (Hebrews 11:6).
4. What does it mean to "believe" on Jesus Christ?
5. If one truly believes that Jesus is truly the Son of God, He would be crazy to not obey his commands (John 14:15).
6. James tells us that a faith without works is dead (James 2:14-26).
7. Along with faith comes repentance, confession, and baptism.
8. The jailer did all of these things.
9. Have you?
A. We must worship in spirit.
1. With the correct attitude.
5. Joy, Regret.
6. A thoughtful mind.
B. We must worship in truth (Colossians 3:17).
1. Sing (Colossians 3:16; Ephesians 5:19).
2. Pray (1 Thessalonians 5:16).
3. Give (1 Corinthians 16:1-2).
4. Study God's Word (Acts 20:7).
5. Take the Lord's supper (Acts 20:7).
1. It is possible to worship with Spirit and still be lost (Matthew 15:9; 7:21-24).
2. It is possible to worship in truth and still be lost (Matthew 15:8).
3. We must put the two together.
A. No one will escape this judgment.
B. All will be judged righteously (Psalms 9:7-8).
C. The wicked will get what they deserve.
D. The righteous will receive the gift of salvation through their obedience (Ephesians 2:8-9).
1. Have you done what you must in order to be saved??
2. If not, why not do so today?
3. Please see Plan of Salvation.
-- Ralph Price, July 2000--