Purpose: To emphasize the importance and affect of the lifting up of Christ.
2. As he wandered this earth, he encountered many problems.
3. One of the biggest problems that He was faced with was that of His rejection by the Jews.
4. It seemed that no matter how many miracles that He did, they would still not follow Him.
5. It seemed that no matter how many parables that He taught, some would still not believe.
6. But He tells us in John 12:32 that there would be one event that would draw all men unto Him.
7. His crucifixion.
A. Genesis 3:15 tells us that Satan would bruise Christ's heel but that Christ would bruise Satan's head. A death blow was dealt to Satan.
B. Until the death of Christ, Satan held power over us. "Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:" (Colossians 1:13).
C. There was no forgiveness under the Old Testament Law (Hebrews 10:1-4).
D. The only way for us to have forgiveness of sins was by the sacrifice of the blameless Son of God (1 Peter 1:18-19).
1. It is not possible to buy our salvation.
2. It is not possible to earn our salvation.
3. It is not possible to be born into salvation.
4. It took the precious blood of the Son of God.
A. We often have a bad habit of exalting certain men other than Christ (1 Corinthians 1:10-13).
1. In the church, powerful preachers are often exalted.
2. In denominations, other men are exalted.
B. As Christians, we should not draw attention or followers to ourselves but simply point them to God (1 Corinthians 2:1-5).
A. Many have lost confidence in the drawing power of the gospel.
1. They feel that, in order to attract people, you have to entertain them.
2. Brethren, if hearing God's Word won't draw you to worship, you don't need to come.
B. God desires true worshipers who will worship him in spirit and in truth (John 4:23-24).
C. True worshipers come to worship because they love God, not because they want to have fun.
D. There is no Scriptural authority for practices such as drama, special singing, etc.
E. Worship is participatory. We don't just "tune in" to worship.
A. We can lift him up by telling the world about Him.
1. Matthew 28:19-20.
2. 2 Timothy 4:1-4.
3. People tend to talk about things which excite them.
B. We can lift Him up by not being ashamed of Him (Mark 8:38).
C. We can lift Him up by keeping His commandments (Luke 6:46).
2. Why are you here today?
3. Hopefully it is because there is one who died for your sins and you want to honor Him.
4. Have you honored Christ? Please see Plan of Salvation.
-- Ralph Price, April 2000 --