Purpose: To see how we can draw near to God.
1. The book of James is a very practical book.
2. The book deals with so many important topics.
3. James 4:8 tells us to draw near to God.
4. How do I do that, you may ask.
5. Here is how.
a. Cleanse your hands (v. 8).
b. Purify your hearts (v. 8).
c. Humble yourselves (v. 10).
1. Don't presume to be a judge.
2. Realize that God is in control.
A. In the Old Testament:
1. Had to wash to enter into the Holy Place.
2. Washing was a prerequisite to acceptable worship.
B. Why are we told to cleanse our hands?
1. Hands are the instruments by which deeds are done.
2. Soiled hands were symbolic of guilt (Matthew 27:24).
3. To cleanse our hand means that we are to cleanse our actions.
C. Are our hands soiled?
D. If we would draw near to God, we must cleans our deeds
1. There is no darkness in God therefore, He will not have fellowship with darkness (1 John 1:5).
2. Psalm 26:6-7
3. Holy Hands (1 Timothy 2:8).
E. To have soiled hands makes one a sinner.
A. The hands perform the sin but the heart is the source of sin (Matthew 15:19-20).
B. How can we purify our hearts?
2. Garbage In, Garbage Out (Philippians 4:8).
3. Romans 6:17.
4. Recognize our lost condition (James 4:9).
C. To have a heart that is not pure is to be double minded (James 1:8).
A. Do not presume to be a judge (vv. 11-12).
1. Don't speak evil against each other (v. 11).
2. It is just as wrong to listen as it is to speak.
3. The judgment that we are talking about here is hasty and unjust.
4. We are to judge righteously (John 7:24).
5. We are not to judge in the sense of looking down on someone (Galatians 6:1).
6. Truthfully, we are all servants.
a. Matthew 23:10-12.
b. Matthew 18:1-4.
c. Luke 17:10.
B. Remember that God is in control (vv. 13-17).
1. God rules in the affairs of men.
2. We ought never fall into the sin of thinking that we are in control.
3. Daniel 4:28-37.
1. If we do these things:
a. Cleanse our hands.
b. Purify our hearts.
c. Humble ourselves.
2. We will draw near to God and He will draw near to us.
3. We must continue to grow and do this all our lives.
4. Offer invitation.
-- Ralph Price, 2001 --